Friday, September 28, 2012

On the Island Again - Post 15

Well - we've arrived, been checked in, assigned rooms and briefed following our pizza dinner.  Beverages including wine and beer were provided for the occasion.  In particular - there were some local beverages including Great Lakes (Cleveland), The Brew Kettle (Strongsville), Heineman's (Put In Bay) and Mon Ami (Port Clinton).

It's nice to be back here - there's been a lot of changes over the past 3 years & I'm looking forward to seeing more of them during the light of day tomorrow.

As far as work assignments go - I wasn't able to get my first pick of planting trees in the Swamp on Middle Bass Island.  However, I did get my 2nd choice of working on South Bass Island Lighthouse (and potentially tagging some Monarch Butterflies - I have no idea how that's supposed to work...).

For those who know me personally, you know that I've long had an interest in the history of lighthouses and took a research trip for an article I was pitching to visit a number of Lake Erie Lighthouses in the Western Basin a couple of years ago.  South Bass Island Lighthouse was one that I visited --- granted, that day didn't go quite according to plan since it was peak season here in PIB.  With a bit of luck, this will give me an opportunity to get inside the Lighthouse while working on it and explore it a little better than I was able to back then.

The task at hand doesn't seem too complicated - just painting the front and rear porches.  As long as it goes smoothly, it should be a good time.

Tomorrow is a pretty packed schedule and I'm having issues accessing the wireless.  So, it looks like I'll only be posting a recap in the evening once I wrap up everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment