Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thurs Recap - Post 10

Perch fishing in Lake Erie. We started out not too far from S. Bass Isl. and had some moderate success, but the fishies were small. We moved to a few other places but met w/ limited success in each of those, before finally returning to our starting point.

I reeled in an 11" Yellow Perch (tied for the boat leader board w/ one of my classmates), another one I didn't measure since it was only in the 6-8" range... We started throwing the little ones back, since we were getting so many of them...

Most of the guys were catching more Sheepsheads - and promptly tossing them back. And a few White Bass were also hauled aboard.

This was also my first experience w/ keeping a fish I caught and cleaning them. I tried out a couple of techniques and have 2 fillets and 2 basically whole fish that were just beheaded and cleaned... I guess you snap out the spine and rip out all the rib bones once you cook them...

Friends are pouring in suggestions as to cooking instructions. We'll see how that goes.

Today was also our last set of lectures. Tomorrow we will be out Trolling for Walleye w/ some tournament pros. Should be a good learning experience and a chance to do something I doubt I would otherwise have an opportunity to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment